Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day

Today is April 1st-April Fool's Day. To most people this day probably doesn't mean a whole lot.  To my family, you would think it was a religious event. My brother, Lance, takes it the most seriously. In the past there have been such pranks as him getting his college girlfriend pregnant and her wanting to keep the baby. He called my house while I was in the shower and told my husband that he had to get me out because it was an emergency. So with shampoo in my hair, I stood in my bathroom trying to figure out how to help him. Took me a while to figure that was a joke.

Then, there was the year Lance called my Dad and told him he was arrested for soliciting a prostitute. He told my Dad he needed bail money and an attorney. My father spent the entire day trying to figure out how to get the money to him (my Dad is not one to understand the concept of bank transfers or money wires) and on the phone with a lawyer in Chicago hoping he had a connection in NYC (I think it was in NYC) to help Lance out, without my mother finding out.  That one really was a good one.

Then, there was the year Lance was closing on a condo. My Mother was in Texas. Lance called her having a panic attack that he was at the closing and was missing a document that only my Mother had and he needed her to get him to him immediately. She was frantic and running around trying to figure out how she was going to help him while being so far away from home. That was another good one.

Last year, I texted Steve that I was pregnant and I didn't know what we were going to do. He was panic stricken and freaking out. After a few hours, I felt kind of bad and let him know what day it was. Needless to say, while he was relieved, he was far from happy.

Today, I have already received 2 texts: one from my sis in law, Roya, telling me that she is pregnant. Good luck to you and Lance. The other text was from my Dad telling me he has obtained a dog and must watch it for 2 weeks and he hasn't told my Mom yet. Awesome.  You people need to realize that we are ALL on guard now when April 1 approaches. You can tell me anything you want today and I won't believe you. So go ahead, hit me with your best shot.

2 comments:

  1. It is so true. It doesn't matter what any family member would say today, I would not believe them. I told Roya to call Lance and tell him that she was arrested for soliciting a male prostitute and she needed a lawyer. I also received her text. I immediately sent a text back that just said "April Fools." The truth is, I did get excited at prospect of becoming a grandmother again. But, I will wait patiently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dog story, 'cause we all know who your mom feels about animals.

    ReplyDelete