Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Name is Kerry and I Compare My Children To Each Other

Last night, I made it out to my first baseball game of the season. It was a warm evening and we all went to watch Simon and Zion play. Let me just say this....I do understand that my boys are 7 and still 6. I understand they are in 1st grade and this is supposed to be "fun" and to help them "socialize".  And--I also know I shouldn't compare my children to each other. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. But----this was SO super painful for me to watch. Especially, since the team we were playing against, was the "good" team. (the team that my older boys would always play on)

First off....Simon thinks it's "funny" to purposely miss the ball when it's pitched to him cause it's "more fun" to hit the ball off the tee. Why? Why would that be more fun? It's also really important to him to drink 32 ounces of Gatorade during the whopping 1 hour game. Oh. And he likes to keep telling me that there are 2 ice cream trucks. "Mommy, do you see the ice cream trucks? Do you see there are 2 of them? Can I have ice cream now?" Me-"No, Simon. You are playing baseball." Simon-"But Andrew and Issac are eating ice cream. It's not fair."  Me- "They aren't playing baseball Simon. Can you please pay attention to the ball? Can you please try to participate in the game?" Simon- "Can I get ice cream after the game?" Me- "No, Simon." Simon- "It's not fair."  What else is new? And for the record, Andrew brought money with him to buy this stupid ice cream from the musical truck that stalks children and their parents. I had nothing to do with it. The trucks purposely drive up and down the same street playing their stupid music NON STOP until parents can't do anything but give in. It's a conspiracy of the knock off Good Humor people.

Zion gets a kick out of standing on 3rd base and talking to his coach...or the other teams coach.....or himself......he just stands there and talks and talks and has no idea that the ball is being thrown to him to make an out. When he isn't doing that, he's playing shortstop and likes to kick the dirt around. Or, he picks up the dirt in one hand and then lets it fall through his mitt. He also figured out that the bat can be like a sword and if you go charging against the metal fence with it, it'll go through the hole. Good times.

The other team was kicking our ass, fast and furious. They kept making 3 outs in a matter of minutes. Our kids were confused about why they weren't getting to bat. They don't seem to understand that as they get older, the rules actually come into play in these games. For some reason though, Andrew and Issac understood this concept. They paid attention. They would hit the ball. They knew how to field. And they both are on travel teams for the 2nd year in a row. I have gotten used to watching serious plays, bases stolen, real pitches being thrown and coaches getting worked up over unfair calls.  I know it isn't fair of me to compare, but my gosh, I need to watch kids who know what they are doing!! My big boys wear batting helmets so they don't get hit by pitches. My little ones should be wearing helmets in the field so they don't get hurt by a fly ball while they are talking about Spongebob and Pokemon. But.....I was really well-behaved. I sat and cheered the boys on. I only made comments under my breath and to myself. (mostly)

I know I seem like a bad mom for admitting to all of this. But, I know I am not alone. I know you people are out there--you feel the same way I do.  I've seen moms bring hard liquor  hidden in water bottles so they can get through an entire game. I don't go that far. But....I have until the end of June. I may just have to join em.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! at least you will not be the mom who is driving after drinking!!!! (see, there is a positive in there somewhere!!!)

    ReplyDelete