Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Driving Non Miss Daisy

This morning, my mother drove me to work. (Thanks, Mom!) She will then pick me up later this afternoon. I have no independence anymore and I hate it. Tammy drove me to work yesterday, and my brother, Jordan, drove me home. I appreciate everyone's help and support during this awful time period in my life. But, I can't help but be bummed that not only have I had to relinquish my driving, but also, control of the radio. I am a button pusher. And, I can also admit, a control freak. So, imagine my surprise when I got into my office, turned on my computer and found out that the one and only, Elizabeth Taylor, has left us. I hope she may rest in peace with her good buddy Michael Jackson and all of her ex-husbands. But, see, I feel that if I had driven myself, and had control of the radio, I would've known this sooner. Would it have really impacted my life to know this half an hour sooner? Nope. It's not as if I have travel and childcare arrangement to make in order to attend her funeral. I just hate not being able to live my life the way that I want.

Each day, I need to depend on someone else to take me to work, take me to buy groceries, take me to pick up prescriptions, take me to a haircut or nail appointment or take me to do just about anything. I don't live in the city where I can walk to most places. The closest grocery store, Dominicks, I cannot stand. The nail place is walking distance but the weather has been shit. (And we all know how important this aspect of my life is. G-d forbid I not get there) My Bubby, may she rest in peace also, never drove.She lived her life this way--she always needed someone to take her to do everything. And now, I understand why going to different grocery stores and produce stores were a big deal to her. It allowed her to get out--to get some fresh air--to see people (not that I care so much about seeing people. I'm not really a fan of people. But that's for another blog entry) Going to Target or Sunset of Fresh Farms has now become a highlight of my week. Early on in my non driving, Tammy had a dentist appointment. She offered to take me with so I could get out of my house. We had lunch first. But I gladly jumped on this opportunity as it enabled me to not sit and stare at Maury Povich on TV to see how many men will be tested to see who is the baby daddy. I enjoy taking rides now in the car. (well, depending on who is driving. As I think I've mentioned, there are certain people whose driving I cannot stand) Yesterday, Jordan and I took a long ass ride out to St. Charles for a work appointment. I enjoyed it because it enabled me to see things. For example, they have a Super Target and a brand new Wal-Mart. Gas was slightly cheaper. And, we went to a Dunkin Donuts for some coffee! I haven't had DD coffee in over 2 months now!!!!! I make my coffee in my Keurig (best invention EVER) every morning and take it with me to work. I have no control and do not feel comfortable asking all my drivers to stop each day just so I can have my XL Coffee with extra cream and 10 Splenda. (yes, you read that correctly) Would they do it? Yes, because they love me and care about me and I think they feel bad for me. But, I am not Miss Daisy. They don't work for me. They are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. And for that, I will be eternally grateful. xoxoxoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. You can feel free to push the radio buttons any time you wish. As for Dunkin Donuts, I love their coffee and will make it a point to stop there. I know that this time in your life seems like a living hell. You have made it through way too many times and you will again. Some day you will look back on this. I wish I could make it end today.

    ReplyDelete