Friday, September 9, 2011

Triple-Double

OREO has released a new cookie: they are calling it the Triple Double. It has 2 different fillings and 3 cookies. The people at the cookie company must be in cahoots with the people who make plus size clothing. Why on Earth would they invent a cookie that, although I am willing to bet tastes delicious, has to be absolutely horrible for us to be eating? All the news ever talks about is how this country is full of obese people. Women's magazine post tons of pictures with women's eyes blacked out so no one will know it is them in the "don't" picture, with their muffin tops popping out and they're back fat being pushed out.

Now, don't get me wrong. Who doesn't love an OREO? And, they make SO many varieties now that they probably cover all taste buds.  Why do I know this? Because in this house, the children can't all agree on one flavor OREO.  Everyone likes the traditional OREO. (this should end the blog. but marketing is everything.) There's Mint filled, Peanut Butter filled, Fudge covered, White Fudge covered, Reduced Fat,(who are they trying to fool?) Golden Oreos, Flip Flops (I think that's the name for the ones that have one yellow cookie and one chocolate) Double Stuff and lets not forget seasonal OREOS. Orange filled for Halloween, Red filled for Christmas, Yellow for Spring, and now.....they make Football shaped OREOS.  I am sure I am missing more. Oh yes---mini OREOS...they come in individual bags, or the bigger pack that looks like a container of chips. Lunch packs of OREOS, that come in multi pack boxes.

Why do I care about this? Truth is, I don't.  But I am now at Target at least 3 times a week re-stocking on groceries for the pre-teen boy that lives here.  I never can just walk into the store and buy what I need...I always have to wander around, aimlessly.  Given my present state of mind though, losing myself in the aisles of Target seems to help, if only for a few minutes.  That and the fact that I have had the hardest time finding the individual bags of the regular Goldfish.  Why is that??????? I found them at the 3rd Target I went to. Just like the OREOS, my kids don't agree on which Goldfish they like. They can't eat the color Goldfish. (um, they taste the SAME!) and heaven forbid I buy the Extra Cheddar Goldfish...all hell breaks lose since only 1 kid likes those.

This is what my life has come to: discussing OREOS and Goldfish. Does it matter? No. There are kids all over the world who have no food or don't know if or when there will be another meal. And my kids: they're picky over what shaped noodle they are eating, cause ya know, farfalle tastes different than rigatoni.

Again, I am not complaining about my kids. I am grateful for them. But so many things that they make an issue out of are just so trivial.  Then again, so is this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment