Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Hammer to the Head

So, last night, while at dinner, I got a text from my father. Here's what it said:
"Did I tel u about th hammer that hit me in head" (That is exactly as he typed it. My dad has his own abbreviations when it comes to texting.)
My response was "Do you have a concussion?"
He said, "No stl hav hedake @ lighthed. Not severe vry mild".
I told him he needed to get to the ER. I asked him if he was tired.
This was the answer. "No mor thn usual. Im good dont wory. Jus wantd som1 2kno. Lov u"

The last time he said something similar to me was in 2004 when he was in Vegas for a wedding and called me from Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville to inform me he felt really sick and, if he were to die, at least he got to speak to me before it happened.

Does this sound normal to you? ( He was hospitalized while there and had to stay in Vegas longer, but eventually made it home. It was kidney stones.)

I, being of sound mind and body, proceeded to call my uncle to see if he could go get my father and take him to the ER. He wasn't home. I texted my brother, Jordan, to see if he knew of my uncle's whereabouts. He did not but did ask me why I wanted to know.  I proceeded to tell him about the text I had received. He asked me how it happened. I told him what my dad told me. He replied with: "Oh that's from like 3 days ago." THREE DAYS AGO?????
 I called my mother, who is out of town for work, to let her know what was going on. She told me she was out of town and what did I want her to do.

Again, does this sound normal to you?

For some reason, my family always seems to call me when someone is hurt, ill, on the way to the ER, already in the hospital or needs to get to one. Why? I don't know. Some listen to me when I suggest we head to the ER; some choose to think they know better, my father being a prime example.

In 2001, we were at my parents house for Rosh Hashanna. My mom had washed the potatoes and asked my dad to cook them. (he always makes the mashed potatoes.) He decided a cutting board wasn't necessary. He chose to cut potatoes in his bare hand. This led to him missing the potato and slicing his hand open. My mother was concerned about him bleeding all over her potatoes. My husband took him to the ER for stitches, even though my dad thought he didn't really need them.

The next month, I had a funeral to attend. My dad came to my house to watch Andrew and Issac while I went. He got to my house and told me not to "dilly dally" as he wasn't feeling well. I rushed home to find him sitting outside my house on one of my brand new dining room chairs. I had just gotten the dining room set so I was rather unhappy about my new chair being outside. He told me he was having chest pains and was "thinking" about going to the hospital. While I was gone, he called my mom, at work, to ask her to call 911. (The fire department was literally across the street from my house) She told him to call himself.  He eventually got to the hospital and it wasn't a heart attack.

My sister has called me from Spain to say she was sick and to ask if she should go to the hospital. I've had both brothers ask me as to whether or not their symptoms required medical attention. My question is this: why tell me 3 days after you got your head smashed to tell me you aren't feeling well? (oh and leave out the fact that it was 3 days earlier?!?!?!?!?!) And, if other people were aware of the injury, why did no one else think to maybe get him checked out?

My dad texted me this morning to apologize for getting me all upset and worried and wanted to know if he was still allowed to come over to watch the Bears game tonight. So he'll be here soon.

I'm not sure this blog makes any sense today. I feel like I am just rambling. I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment